Process, Development and Construction
BSc Hons ICT in Business Management, Prince2 Practitioner
Working Toward MSc in Project Management (Bristol University) – 2017
- Management and Coordination of Complex Multi-team Project Delivery
- Production of Business Cases
- Communication and Presentational Skills
- Financial Profiling of Development and Grant Funding
- Overseeing Project Design within a ‘Partnering’ environment
Adam has over 10 years high level experience as a Project Manager, delivering a diverse range of Projects that include: Commercial Developers; the Maritime Environment; Buildings and Facilities for the MoD; Housing; and on sites with complex ground and boundary issues. His work and services incorporate the latest thinking on partnering and contract procedures coupled with state of the art programming and cost control tools. He has had responsibility for Projects up to £5m in value.
He has worked with major Organisations encompassing, for example: Housing and Commercial Developers; Prime Contractors such as Interserve and Babcock; with BAe Systems on the MoD Estate; and with Government Agencies.
He is currently working towards an MSc in Project Management at Bristol University (completion early 2017).
Experience And Accomplishments
From a background in Information Technology, and its application to finance and business models, Adam undertook a number of ICT Consulting responsibilities and during 2002/2004 he was retained by the Deputy Prime Minister’s Office to advise on ‘E businesses’; setting up portal technologies, and, developing policies on the use of SAP BW data warehousing. With a team of about 6 other professionals he was responsible for project management of the delivery requirements including Government and external suppliers and partners (Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, SAP, etc).
During early 2005 he was retained as Project Manager by Kernovation, a Cornish based development Company with the key role of delivering Truro Technology Park, a three-phase development for high quality commercial and ‘high-tech’ businesses incorporating some R&D (£3.5M).
- Project Management (Document Control, Tendering, Approvals liaison, Chairing Design Team and Contract Meetings, Coordination, Reports, Programme Monitoring, Change Control, engendering Collaborative Working, etc).
- Maintaining Programme and Resource Schedules
- ICT solutions for the Technology Park based upon cutting edge systems.
- Financial modelling and management
- Communication skills to aid consultations and presentations
- A good understanding of collaborative working in a partnering environment
As the first two phases neared completion and was fully occupied, Adam was required to advise on wider development opportunities encompassing commercial appraisal and business case evaluation. He established close ‘working’ relationships with building and development consultants such as Architects, Structural and Civil Engineers, Commercial Agents, etc. and various contractual organisations.
He compiled and submitted a successful application for Objective One funding for the first two phases of Truro Technology Park and with the South West RDA, he successfully negotiated a 38% convergence funding support for Phase 3 at Truro Technology Park.
With a number of Commercial Clients, Adam has taken on the role of site identification (on occasion, working closely with Commercial Agents), incorporating Viability Assessments in consultations with Local Authorities on planning issues, liaising with Architects on conceptual design, financial evaluation and compiling a business case.
During the last five years, exercising his Project Management skills within PDP Ltd and its Multi-disciplinary Architectural and Engineering sister business, PDP Green Consulting Ltd, he has not only expanded on the depth of his experience of managing Project design and delivery to high quality on time and within budget, but also high quality BREEAM ‘Excellent’ solutions.
Adam believes strongly in continual professional development. He endeavours to attend at least five working days CPD events per year with at least two concerned with health and safety. Most recently, he has undertaken courses on the CDM Regulations, the Party Wall Act, BREEAM (Commercial and Industrial), DDA Regulations and Access Statements.
Adam leads PDP’s Project Management capabilities with recent Project Delivery ranging from a very large retail building (former Woolworths) refurbishment in Falmouth with difficult Party Wall and infrastructure implications; to a £2m luxury house for a Client at Carbis Bay, Cornwall, requiring complex geotechnical engineered solutions for a cliff site and highly complex site access and confined working conditions.
Within the Firm, Adam is the “BIM Knowledge Centre”. He has attended a number of workshops on this current, major delivery model of Government Project Delivery and it is intended that this capability will inform his specialist Project Management roles and responsibilities.
- Excellent capability as a Project Manager.
- Excellent leadership skills and coordination of numerous participants in a project delivery.
- In depth experience of the selection of design team and contractors.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong understanding of financial management and monitoring including: cashflow projection; purchase order control; management accounts; and, financial reporting.
- Highly adept at utilising programming techniques incorporating Quality Assurance monitoring and audit; risk mitigation; resource management scheduling; programming (in particular the application of MS Project).
- Good communicator and presentational style.
- Able to manage and control a number of projects or project issue.
Particular Project Experience
Central Government – London
- From 2002 to 2005, advising the Deputy Prime Minister’s Office on financial management and business case processing with analytical software incorporating SAP BW data warehousing technologies. Advising on portal technology for the purposes of monitoring and liaising with Local Government and the Regions on financial planning.
- Project Management of operational requirements such as production of multiple software business applications to meet “Customer Department” requirements, valued up to £250,000. Of note was ‘ISIS’, a multi platform application to allow the identification of investment opportunities and to automate the production of a commercial business case to guide almost instant decision-making.
Commercial Development with Kernovation Ltd
- From 2005 to 2008, with Kernovation Ltd, providing Project Management of the delivery of Truro Technology Park through financial evaluation, design, planning approval and award of Objective 1 Grant to completion, at an overall cost of some £3.5m and to BREEAM ‘Excellent’ standards. He was responsible for directing the design team and contractors including sales, marketing, and cash flow monitoring and financial management, legal work and overseeing transition from completion to occupation by Tenants.
- Undertaking numerous development appraisals. This has included sites for commercial and industrial development within Truro City, Newquay, Plymouth, Exeter, and Camborne. This has involved site assessments, conceptual development proposals, cost evaluation, market place assessment of commercial viability, and reporting to the Client and their Bankers from time to time, often with presentations to aid decision making.
Philip Desmonde Partnership Ltd (PDP)
- From 2008, Adam worked within PDP as a Project Manager and now leads our Project Management capability. He has also contributed substantially to the Project Management needs of our Sister Company, PDP Green Consulting Ltd, a multi-disciplinary Architectural and Engineering practice. Within a team of about 20 professional staff, he highlights the following particular examples of his role and responsibly.
- Ministry of Defence: Through 2008 to the present, he has acted as PM on some 12 significant Projects including for MoD at Portsmouth Naval Base with BAe Systems and the Former Army Staff College at Sandhurst with Interserve for the upgrade of this substantial historic building for modern use (completion 2014). Values up to £5m.
- Praa sands Coastal protection Scheme valued at about £2.5m. A rock armour protection scheme to save 6 large properties and a holiday complex from coastal erosion.
- Elm Tree Road, Looe: Reconstruction following collapse of an existing retaining wall and safe guarding some 10 properties on a steep slope overlooking Looe. A highly complex array of site and legal issues to be managed and resolved in a timely and least cost manner: Party Wall Awards and issues arising; design and contract development (NEC 3 Engineering and Short Contract with target maximum price and priced schedules was adopted for simplicity and speed of response); selecting an appropriately skilled and experienced Contractor; advising on award of contract; difficult access and coordination with Highway and Property Owners; overseeing specialist geotechnical, civil and structural engineering consultants and CDM Coordinator advisers; consulting with the Local Planning Authority; maintenance and renewal of utility services including drainage; security and safety to make the area of the collapse safe and monitoring the Contractors operations. Liaison with legal representatives and their Experts. Twice weekly reporting to Client and Monthly progress/Financial Reports. In all some £750k
- Cliff House, Carbis Bay, Cornwall: Construction of a very high profile and quality individual dwelling on a cliff site in Cornwall. Involving a mix of specialist piling, ground anchor techniques and concrete structures with complex architectural spatial arrangement. JCT Form of Contract. Full Project Management of design team and Construction. £2m
- Richard Lander School: Project Manager appointed to deliver of an extension to the School for special needs pupils through a Cornwall Council PFI Contract with Interserve. £0.5m
- St Andrews House, Edinburgh: A 12 storey 1930’s stone clad building on steel frame with substantial corrosion problems. The office of the First Minister of Scotland and the Cabinet plus about 1,100 civil servants – introduction of one of Europe’s largest catholic protection scheme and annual monitoring of the installation plus masonry remedial measures (a 5 year commission from 2012 with works value of some £5m).
- Cathodic Protection of Maritime Structures – HMNB Portsmouth. Compiling and Managing a 5 year programme of assessing and monitoring the performance of Cathodic protection applied to Basin 2 (containing a fleet of Mine Sweepers and small military vessels) and the Upper Harbour Ammunition Jetty capable of support for up to two large Naval vessels. Original Project Values about £12m.
- Storm Damage Remediation of Camber for Royal Marines – Plymouth: Overseeing the investigations of the impact of substantial storm damage (Feb 2014) to the stone masonry structure dating from about 1860 above water and below. Adjacent to the International Ferry Port required close liaison with Associated British Ports together with the Harbour Master, the Royal Marines and Plymouth City Council plus the Marine Management Organisation. Introduced innovative inspection techniques and oversaw leading structural engineers in their field delivering specialist remedial treatments. £1m
Roles And Responsibilities
- Leading the Project management capabilities of PDP
- Advising on project viability and delivery for a number of Developer Clients.
- Applying specialist Project Management skill and capability within the MoD estate, to Prime Contractors and PFI deliverers.
- Partnering with architects, consulting engineers and private clients to provide dedicated Project Management expertise encompassing the whole delivery team.
- Providing an integrated approach to commercial and industrial development with core reliance upon information technology processes.
- Using Project Management principles to encourage focus on doing things better, quicker, cheaper.